Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chapter 5

I haven't been feeling myself lately.

Or whatever my definition of myself is, I haven't been feeling like that. Since I left Sewanee I've been just trudging along. In a way, I think I thought I was better than everybody else, everyone else here. Well maybe I am better than at least the people here.

I was watching LOST without much intent, the screen flickering without my eyes paying attention, when I hear a crash. I casually get up and go to the window. After wiping a thin crusty layer of mayonnaise-like grime out of the way I see two men prying an ATM right out of the ground. The ATM grasps onto the earth with terrible force but they are persistent. I stand there hunched over, looking out into the street. I watch as the men pry the ATM out of the ground, carelessly and roughly. Somehow I feel nothing but remorse for the ATM.

The men leave and I slump against the stained wall. I slide to the floor as the robbers speed off. The sound of LOST fills the room. I'm tired of this town, of my lack of a real job, of myself, and I collapse into my bed and fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment