Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chapter 7

" I saw the robbery." I say.

A freckled policeman with scruffy, short blonde hair sits at a high desk in a small room. He looks up to see me. His dark eyes look calm though I was expecting him to be more interested by what I had to say.

"Which one?" says the policeman.

"The ATM robbery yesterday." I say.

The policeman rises off of a high chair and comes to stand no more than 5 foot 6 inches above the ground. He's squat and this eases some of my tension.

"And? Two guys came and stole an ATM. Ain't nuthin gonna be done 'bout it. We recovered the thang this mornin'. Punks never got into it."

Before he finishes talking he walks toward a door in the back of the room and opens it.

"Was that it?" he says.

I nod. He steps through and closes the door. I'm left in the small room and suddenly I feel an urgent need to leave, as though staying a moment longer may put me in a situation unfamiliar to myself. I start for the door. I hear faint footsteps approaching the door inside the room and I slip outside. I try my best to walk casually but the awkwardness has overtaken my thoughts. I'm no more than a few paces away from the building when the door to the Police Headquarters swings open and the squat, freckled man hollers at me.

"Wait! What's your name?" he says.

I spin around

"Charles." I say

He holds a clipboard and pen in his hand and motions to continue.

"Charles Stevens." I say.

He looks down and steps back inside. I look away and try to divert my thoughts from why he wanted my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment