Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Chapter 9

I can barely make out the cracks in the sidewalk in front of me. They mock me and their constant battery of tiny voices rattle in my head. Before I avoided them, but now I look up and focus on what's in front of me. Snap and a picture is taken. I just paused and took a photo of whatever was in front of me. Later in the developing process I will be greeted by a pleasant surprise. Currently however I shift my attention to the fragrance of pie. The street lamps are out and the diner is the only place working. I think they are only choosing to make pies. I decide to partake in a pie, and pace over to the diner. I'm not the only one. Everyone is here. Smiling folks just waiting to get pie. It's almost serene. Snap. I take my place in line and notice a grown man crying.
"Why are you crying?" I say.

"It's just that, well, apple pie reminds me of my parents. They died when I was young," he says.

"Oh, wow, that's rough," I say,

I can't help but avert my gaze from him as a silence lingers.

"I tried to honor their memory by practicing magic, but I've not done it lately," he says.

"I didn't know we had any warlocks in this town," I say.

"Technically warlocks are not humans, so no, we don't have any 'Warlocks.' I am a Wizard. Or was a wizard," he says.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to belittle you, but I have. My mother died as well. I've been quite effected ever since." Without realizing it I lie. "I can't imagine losing both parents," I say

"The only thing I can remember about them is them telling me about magic. Everyone has laughed in my face for the last twenty years but I kept going… until now," he says.

The whole conversation makes me feel out of place. I decide to leave and am about to make up an excuse when I think better of, remembering my vow. "I've seen you around the building, but I'd never have thought we'd have something so grave in common. I haven't talked with anyone about my mother before, I don't exactly know why I feel so compelled to now," I say.

"If we were talking a week ago, I would have told you it was because of my liger claw necklace that attracts new people but not anymore," he says.

Satisfied with my reach out into the community I despise, I'm content and finished with the conversation. "I just realized I'm late for something. I'm sure I'll see you around the building," I say. I step away from my spot in line, but then turn and say "wait, what is your name?"

"Aaron. Aaron Pernie," he says.

"Goodbye."

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god... I ran to the source of the smell, barely keeping my slippers on as i sprinted to the pie shop. I shoved a man out of the way that I knew to be Charles Stevens, he hated everyone as much as i did, but not right now, not at this glorious moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha look at all these nubes, no one is even using a candle they are all wondering around in one direction

    ReplyDelete